International banking services for expats working overseas
Living and working abroad. Whether you see it as a temporary wrench from home, an enjoyable diversion in your working life or as a more permanent career move, there's no doubt your financial needs will require professional management.
Barclays has many years' experience in helping people with overseas jobs plan for and adapt to working abroad.
We specialise in offering international banking services designed to meet your specific needs. We can offer you innovative financial products and offshore banking services in a range of currencies. We can also help you take advantage of any financial planning opportunities that may arise while you work abroad.
Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to offer you:
- Offshore savings (including online saving) and investments
- Loans (subject to application and status)
- Tax planning advice via our preferred tax adviser, the international financial services firm, Ernst & Young1
- Access to our International Telephone and Online Banking service.
Moving abroad made easy
We can help you sort out your financial affairs and the best ways for you to transfer currency. In many cases, we can even open your bank account for you before the move, giving you one less thing to organise when you arrive in your new country.
We believe no one is better placed than Barclays to smooth your transition from domestic to international banking.
Offshore bank accounts
Our International Bank Account offers multi-currency options including euros, US dollars and sterling. It is the core of each of our bank account options available to people living or working overseas:
- Relationship Manager Service. A fee-free personal, tailored solution designed to help affluent clients maximise their wealth. A dedicated Relationship Manager will take the time to get to know you, in order to understand your circumstances and help you achieve your financial aspirations. The service is aimed at clients with balances of £50,000 or more (or currency equivalent) to place with Barclays international banking or for clients who have come to live in or are moving to the UK, an annual individual gross income of £150,000 or more to mandate to a Barclays international bank account.
- iBank is a low-cost, easy way to manage and control your finances when living abroad. It allows you to transact regularly and hold your wealth with a trusted provider in a secure environment.
All of our international banking options allow you to choose from:
- Day-to-day banking in a range of currencies
- Debit Cards.
Offshore savings and investments
Whether you're moving to a country other than your own or would like to hold money offshore, iBank Saver offers you a secure home for your savings and investments.
As an iBank Saver client, you'll enjoy:
- Savings and deposit accounts in a range of currencies
- Access to a range of investment solutions offered by the Barclays Group
- International Telephone and Online Banking
- Quick, easy and secure international payments
iBank Saver is available for no monthly fee. Conditions apply. Click here to find out more about iBank Saver, or click the link below and we'll call you with more information.
- Barclays can offer you an overseas mortgage as well as specialised mortgage advice
- Our offshore mortgages are available for residential property in the Caribbean, Dubai, France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and South Africa
- We can make the process of buying your new home as easy as possible.
Foreign currency and exchange services
You can rely on Barclays to offer attractive exchange rates between currencies. And when you need to transfer money quickly and securely, Barclays payments make the process simple.
- Make payment instructions online, by phone, fax or post, or at a Barclays branch
- Choose from a range of major currencies
- No minimum transfer amount (maximum £50,000 for online transactions).
1 You have sole responsibility for the management of your tax and legal affairs, including making any applicable filings and payments and complying with any applicable laws and regulations. We have not provided and will not provide you with tax or legal advice and recommend that you obtain your own independent tax and legal advice tailored to your individual circumstances.
† Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week except for 25 December when the lines are closed. Call costs may vary - please check with your telecoms provider. Calls may be recorded so that we can monitor the quality of our service and for security purposes.
The products and services described on this page are provided by the following companies, which are part of Barclays: Barclays Bank PLC in London and Barclays Private Clients International Limited in the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. For further Information on these companies and Barclays please read the Important Information.
Products and services on this site may not be available in certain jurisdictions. In particular, these products and services are not being offered in Japan or the United States or to US residents. For full details of exclusions and disclaimers please see the Important Information before proceeding. Each Barclays company reserves the right to make a final determination on whether or not you are eligible for any particular product or service.